Sunday 14 August 2011

The Media is destructive because we allow it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-barbara-kaufmann/shocking-secrets-revealed_b_924555.html



I personally believe there is NO hope for the Media and specially sensationalistic journalism to better itself EVER.
This being said, the buying public is as guilty as the Medias to either waste their precious time to read and watch rubbish, or give the Medias attention that the latter don't deserve.
Personally, I take the time and care to filter the useful information. And when I can't filter it myself, I prefer to leave the intoxicated information behind, with the option of doing the research myself later.
It the contents are really important, the news will be back soon enough. And anyway, the Internet may provide the information I need for my research. And even then will I use my logic to link the various pieces of information to reach for the closest to the truth as I can.
I am happy to have the freedom to choose what information to pay attention to. Freedom of the Press is a something valuable, but we do already know that the Media itself, let alone Governments, often choose what to feed to the masses.
Watching the fall of the Berlin Wall was a Historical moment, as was watching the Tien An Men Protests, - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBN11-F8kh8 - but watching Saddam Hussein being hanged is unacceptable. I do not blame the person who filmed it as much as I condemn the Television for showing those images.

As a teenager, or a young adult, I could not understand the hunger for the images that I now witness on a hour to hour basis, whenever the News channels are on. Nor did I understand at the time the protests from the individuals who opened my eyes and ears to the games that the Media were playing on us. But God be blessed that today I know better as relates to what is really going on.

Do we really need to care about tiny details like a celebrity being arrested for speeding while people are dying of hunger, or the Earth itself is on the brink of being on an irreversible destruction path? Unfortunately, the Grand Public has never learnt the lessons, and is more and more hungry for the lies and distortions the Media is selling to the World.
Will we ever learn? Will they ever learn? Will we be condemned into this state of affairs forever, or is there a hope that we will change our behavioral disorders? I really feel, like Michael Jackson said before his death, that 'it starts with us'.

1 comment: