Sunday 7 August 2011

Sunglasses at night

What do you do when you are a sunglasses enthusiast?
My answer, as soon as it was financially possible to me, was to get contact lenses and sunglasses.
I've stuck with two brands till now, and I doubt it's going to change.
I like Ray Bans and Oakleys.
In the 80s, I started out with the Wayfarer, the Clubmaster, and the Aviator. I also had a Wayfarer clone that was named 'Cosmo', but my sister borrowed and lost them.
And then I calmed down, with less interest in spending money on sunglasses. And besides, the red framed aviator were terrific but out of range for my purse.
It wasn't until I discovered Oakley in the 90's that my interest for my expensive passion came back. I have had lots of these, until the designers lost it. Frames started looking big and were aimed at pro Snowboarders and Surfers.
That was when I tried Ray Bans again. Their Polarized glasses were a step ahead. And a new pair of classic gold and green Aviator also added to the collection.
And I decided I should look for more. Online first. Then in shops. And then I became desperate, not finding the right ones. So, I decided to wait and look out.
It took me two years' worth of patience, but it finally paid.
I got myself three pair of Aviators this year. Two totally black pairs, with a slight difference in shape, and a gold framed metal beauty that has leather on the tips of the frames, and a leather wrap just between the eyebrows, and brown glasses. Totally rad.
Tom Cruise and Jesse Jane wore them in both versions of 'Top Gun', so did Kevin Costner in 'Revenge', and George Michael wore them as a part of his look for the promotion of his 'Faith' LP. Kat Von D, the tattoo artist did, and her former boyfriend Nikki Sixx did too. Michael Jackson wore different types of Aviator sunglasses, and he has been a living Ad for the iconic Ray Ban Aviators.

Everyone who's ever been someone with taste must have been a victim of sunglasses at some point in his life.
You just couldn't escape it. Specially Aviators.

I now wonder if I am ever going to buy a pair of sunglasses again. Can someone come up with anything more beautiful than those I own? Maybe, but I suppose I could be too old to wear something that trendy, if it ever happens. Plus, I'm not interested.

I may have an empty purse right now, but comes any beautiful day, I'll be able to hide my eyes in the most beautiful way.
As soon as Winter is over..

No comments:

Post a Comment